- Defendants Who Lie (8/23/2016)
lie for different reasons than plaintiffs do.
- Plaintiffs Who Lie (8/9/2016)
plaintiffs lie it can have devastating effects on medical
- 2 More EMR Problems (7/26/2016)
are two more problems with electronic medical records.
- 3 Steps to Start Your Case Review (7/12/2016)
know how to start your case review? These 3 steps tell you
- Hospitalist Medical Malpractice (6/28/2016)
are naming Hospitalists in more medical malpractice cases.
Medical Record Indexing (6/15/2016)
an easy way to locate information in electronic medical
- Why I
Stopped Using Some Experts (5/31/2016)
are traits in some experts that make it difficult for me
to work with them
- It's a Party! (5/17/2016)
is how parties are styled in case documents.
- The Unprepared Expert (5/3/2016)
experts can sink a case.
- Genomics in Medical Malpractice (4/19/2016)
will genomics affect medical malpractice?
- The Typewriter LNC (4/5/2016)
have used computers for decades. Why then are some LNCs
writing reports as if they're using a typewriter?
- More Legal Lingo (3/22/2016)
are more legal terms that new LNCs might not know.
- Commit to LNC Success (3/8/2016)
you really committed to LNC success? See which level of
commitment to success you have.
- An Overview of Reptile Theory in Medical
using Reptile Theory, plaintiff attorneys can win big
- The Boarded Patient (2/9/2016)
patients in the Emergency Department can lead to medical
- 2 Sides to the Story (1/26/2016)
medical malpractice case has two sides to the story.
- Creative Marketing Techniques (1/23/2016)
and perfume commercials use creative marketing techniques.
LNCs can too.
- Career Objectives (12/8/2015)
transitioning from RN to LNC, a well-written career
objective makes sense.
- 4 Things Jurors Don't Know (11/24/2015)
don't know this information when they hear testimony.
- 2 Steps to Solve an OCR Problem (11/10/2015)
medical records that are OCRd create a problem. Solve that
problem in just two steps.
- 4 Reasons Independent LNCs Fail (10/27/2015)
independent LNCs never become successful. Here are 4
- "Will Continue to Monitor" (10/13/2015)
four words can lead to medical malpractice claims against
- The Time-Saving Medical Summary (9/29/2015)
summaries can take a long to write. Here are some tips to
speed up the process.
- 2 Reasons to Review Billing Codes (9/15/2015)
codes have many purposes. Here are two reasons that I
review billing codes.
- HIPAA Compliant File Transfers (9/1/2015)
your cloud storage / file transfer service HIPAA
- 4 Minutes a Day (8/18/2015)
found that I didn't mind doing a hated chore if I spent
just 4 minutes a day on it.
- Bedside Nurses vs. Law Firm LNCs (8/4/2015)
nurses and law firm LNCs do some of the same things, just
in different ways.
- My Experts' #1 Gripe (7/21/2015)
experts have one major gripe. It's starting to become my
major gripe too.
- 2 Reasons for Incomplete Records
might always get complete medical records from attorneys.
Here are two reasons why.
- Cover Letters for LNCs (6/23/2015)
more important - a cover letter or an awesome resume. If
you said awesome resume, you likely are wrong.
- 3 Rookie Mistakes (6/9/2015)
who are just starting out sometimes make rookie mistakes.
Here are 3 that I've seen.
- 4 Steps to Stop a Torpedo (5/26/2015)
let your first attorney appointment be torpedoed.
- Hearsay vs. Testimony (5/12/2015)
can LNCs tell the difference between hearsay and
- Cognitive Reframing for LNCs (4/28/2015)
reframing changes maladaptive thoughts to more positive
- Documented but Not Done (4/14/2015)
documentation can still lead to lawsuits.
- 5 Ways to be a Proactive LNC (3/17/2015)
5 ways legal nurse consultants can be proactive.
- Cell Phones in Medical Malpractice: 2
Case Examples (3/3/2015)
examples of how cell phones used by staff influenced
medical malpractice cases.
- Expert Retention Checklist (2/17/2015)
a quick way to remember tasks when retaining experts.
- The CSI Effect (2/3/2015)
CSI Effect can influence jurors.
- 5 Ways to Find Subspecialist Experts (1/20/2015)
not hard to find subspecialists to serve as experts.
- 3 Steps for Complainers and Blamers (1/6/2015)
and blaming can prevent LNCs from developing insight.
- Pyramiding of Inferences (12/9/2014)
an LNC, you'll need to recognize pyramiding of inferences
and whether it's legal in your state.
- Legal Counts (11/25/2014)
counts and nursing counts are very different.
- Why is a Courier a Conduit? (11/11/2014)
HIPAA says so.
- 4 Expert Bank DOs and DON'Ts (10/28/2014)
an expert bank? Don't make the same mistakes I did.
- Ask the Right Questions! (10/14/2014)
you're thinking about legal nurse consulting as a career.
You need to ask the right questions about this career.
- 6 Ways to Find Chart Information (9/30/2014)
to quickly and easily locate information in medical
- Discovery Marketing (9/16/2014)
you're marketing revolves around reviewing cases for
merit, you're missing huge opportunities.
- Avoiding Absolutes (9/2/2014)
testifying, you want to avoid these absolutes.
- 5 Reasons for LNC Checklists (8/19/2014)
are 5 reasons to use checklists in your LNC practice.
- Thermal Spread Injuries (8/5/2014)
not always easy for plaintiffs to win cases due to thermal
- 2 Steps to Acquire an Abstract (7/22/2014)
abstracts of medical records is easy. You just need to
know what records you want.
- Details vs. Minutiae (7/8/2014)
details are important in medical malpractice cases and
some are just minutiae.
- Retrospectoscopes for LNCs (6/24/2014)
are used all the time by LNCs - but they shouldn't be.
- Locality Issues for LNCs (6/10/2014)
isn't a big force anymore but it's still important for
LNCs to understand the concept.
- Social Media Interrogatories (5/27/2014)
media interrogatories are one way to obtain information
about a party. Includes a free sample.
- Negligent Medical Referrals (5/13/2014)
it a negligent referral when a patient chooses not to go
to referred physician?
- Analysis of Visual Acuity (4/29/2014)
more to analysis of visual acuity than knowing if the
patient's vision is 20/20.
- That Little Edge (4/15/2014)
the day of the week to medical chronologies gives LNCs
that little edge.
- 4 Mistakes Independent LNCs Make (4/1/2014)
kind of mistakes do independent LNCs make? Find out here.
- 5 Reasons Defendants Win (3/18/2014)
usually win at medical malpractice trials. Here's 5
reasons why they win,
- Digging up Dirt (3/4/2014)
are some free websites to check criminal backgrounds.
- Order, Stipulation, and Petition (2/18/2014)
what these common legal terms mean.
- Favicon Marketing (2/4/2014)
a subtle but effective marketing technique for your
- LNC Cheat Sheets (1/21/2014)
how to keep track of important details in all your cases.
- Pre-Litigation Requirements (1/7/2014)
are certain requirements that must be met before a lawsuit
can be filed.
- Experts - Where, Who, How (12/10/2013)
some practical information for experts about the testimony
- 5 Ways to Appear Desperate (11/26/2013)
appear desperate to potential clients if you show these
- How Long Will it Take? (11/5/2013)
often ask how long a medical record review will take.
Here's how to answer.
- Google Alerts for LNCs (10/22/2013)
automatic notifications about LNC jobs.
- Nurse Paralegal Versus LNC (10/8/2013)
can you tell if that Nurse Paralegal position is really a
Legal Nurse Consultant position?
- Photo Chronologies (9/24/2013)
photos aren't dated accurately. Here's how to tell.
- Hybrid Medical Records (9/10/2013)
combination of paper, scanned, and computer-generated
medical records offer a challenge to LNCs.
- The Wayback Machine (8/27/2013)
can use the Wayback Machine to locate old and deleted
- Wasting Liability Insurance Policies (8/13/2013)
type of medical malpractice insurance policies have big
implications for plaintiffs and defendants.
- Nursing Licensure Issues (7/30/2013)
always amazed how little nurses know about their
professional licenses. Here are a few examples.
- The Effective Invoice (7/9/2013)
how to create an invoice that's effective for marketing as
well as payment of services.
- The Mini Index (6/11/2013)
mini index can help you organize disorganized Bates
- Loss of Consortium (5/28/2013)
is the role of the legal nurse consultant in loss of
- What Difference Did it Make? (5/14/2013)
you're unsure about causation, ask yourself, "What
difference did it make?"
- The United Defense (4/30/2013)
tend to stick together rather than throwing each other
under the bus.
- Expert Preferences Form (4/16/2013)
an easy way to determine the format that experts prefer
for their medical records.
- The Overconfident LNC (4/2/2013)
legal nurse consultants don't always have the skills they
think they have.
- "I Have No Opinion" (3/19/2013)
do experts REALLY mean when they say this phrase?
- Persuasive Numbers (2/19/2013)
are pros at recognizing the importance of numbers. LNCs
can use numbers in a persuasive way.
- Orientation or Initiation? (2/5/2013)
sure you get an orientation, not an initiation, to legal
- 4 Types of Indexes (1/22/2013)
about 4 types of indexes that legal nurse consultants use.
- The 5 Cs, A Model for LNC Success (1/8/2013)
the 5 words that signify legal nurse consulting success.
- 4 LNC New Year's Resolutions (12/26/2012)
a few easy resolutions for your legal nurse consultant
- Is the Chart Complete? (12/11/2012)
how to tell if your set of medical records is missing any
- 3 Types of Legal Deadlines (11/27/2012)
about three types of deadlines that attorneys face.
- Double Jeopardy (11/13/2012)
person can't be tried for the same crime twice. Does the
concept of double jeopardy apply to medical malpractice?
- The Unused Retainer (10/30/2012)
how to ethically deal with unused retainers.
- Working Copies (10/16/2012)
are at least three definitions of the phrase "working
copies" in law firms. Which one does your law firm use?
- Letters of Understanding (10/2/2012)
how a letter of understanding can clarify your spoken
agreement with attorneys.
- The "Yes" or "No" Deposition (9/18/2012)
and "No" aren't always the best answers to questions at
- Case Information Sheets (9/4/2012)
how law firms use case information sheets for important
information related to their lawsuits.
- 10 Ways to Get Law Firm Jobs (8/21/2012)
to get law firm experience when you have no law form
- Authoritative Journal Articles (8/7/2012)
the CARs system to determine if journal articles are
- 3 Bad Habits with Medical Records (7/24/2012)
three ways NOT to review medical records.
- Critical vs. Analytical Thinking (7/10/2012)
think critically. LNCs think critically AND analytically.
Here's how to tell the difference.
- The Power of Analogies (6/26/2012)
analogies can help you explain medical complexities to
- The Relevant Resume (6/12/2012)
your resume relevant to attorneys? Or is it full of
nursing catchphrases that have no meaning to lawyers?
- Sizzle, Not Fizzle (6/5/2012)
and blogs need to sizzle, not fizzle.
- Adding Images to Written Reports (5/29/2012)
how to make your written reports look polished and
professional by adding images.
- Rejection (5/22/2012)
4 steps to stop the fear of rejection.
- Legal Symbols (5/15/2012)
are a handful of legal symbols used in medical malpractice
- Whole Lot of Fakin' Goin' On (5/8/2012)
about fake "recruiters" on LinkedIn and what to do about
- Reading a Pleading (5/1/2012)
how to read a pleading.
- Testimonial Marketing (4/24/2012)
can add credibility to your business.
- A Day in My Law Firm (4/17/2012)
about how law firm LNCs spend their time? Here's what a
day in my law firm is like.
- 4 Wrongs, 4 Fixes (4/10/2012)
at 4 ways an LNC messed up medical chronologies and 4 ways
to fix them.
- 3 Ways to Seal the Deal (3/27/2012)
3 ways to seal the deal with prospective clients and
- Learning from LNC Mistakes (3/13/2012)
LNCs learn from their mistakes.
- Tracking Pathology Slides (3/6/2012)
medical records and radiographs, some pathology slides are
irreplaceable. Find out how to keep track of them.
- Neurolinguistics for LNCs (2/28/2012)
can help you relate better to attorneys.
- Is $125 an Hour a Myth? (2/21/2012)
making $125 an hour sound too good to be true?
- Medical Record Retrieval (2/14/2012)
how law firms obtain medical records.
- Statutes of Limitations and Repose (2/7/2012)
know what a statute of limitations is, but what's a
statute of repose?
- Inbound Marketing for LNCs (1/31/2012)
how inbound marketing can bring you clients.
- Anesthesia Record Analysis (1/24/2012)
of anesthesia records can be overwhelming unless you use
- Keep or Toss (1/17/2012)
should you toss those medical records you received from
- Biased Marketing (1/10/2012)
your marketing materials inadvertently biased?
- Criminal v. Civil (1/3/2012)
how medical malpractice cases are different than criminal
- Accentuate the Positive? (12/13/2011)
just accentuate the positive. Those negatives are
- 4 Steps to Prevent Analysis Paralysis (11/22/2011)
why extreme attention to detail can lead to analysis
paralysis and how to prevent it.
- Why I Started LNCtips.com (11/15/2011)
started LNCtips.com for a reason. What was it? Here's a
hint. The reason wasn't altruistic.
- Scheduling Your 1st Deposition (11/8/2011)
what's involved in scheduling an expert's deposition.
- Marketing is Like Dating...Really! (11/1/2011)
your LNC business is just like dating.
- 5 Ways to Get Fired (10/25/2011)
are 5 reasons that legal nurse consultants get fired.
- Deposition Data Banks (10/18/2011)
you're a testifying expert, or work with testifying
experts, you need to know about deposition data banks.
- ABA Billing Codes (10/11/2011)
LNCs use ABA billing codes. See if you should use them
- Legal Lingo - 7 More Terms (10/4/2011)
are 7 more legal terms to help you understand the legal
- Twitter Litter (9/20/2011)
Twitter litter by creating meaningful tweets.
- 5 Holiday Marketing Strategies to do Now (9/13/2011)
sure what to do for your clients for the winter holidays?
Here are 5 strategies.
- Experts: 10 Things NOT to Write (9/6/2011)
10 things that experts should NOT put on resumes, CVs,
social media or websites.
- Batten Down the Hatches (8/30/2011)
how to prepare your LNC business for a natural disaster.
- Florida Expert Statutes Revisions (8/23/2011)
how Florida's revised expert statutes may affect YOU, even
if you don't live in Florida.
- Computer-Generated Records (8/16/2011)
of computer-generated medical records offers some special
challenges to LNCs.
- Conquering Deadlines (8/9/2011)
how to manage deadlines when you get your first case.
- 3 Tips for Web Marketing (8/2/2011)
3 ways that web marketing is different from print
- Medicine-Law Differences (7/26/2011)
and Law differ in more ways than you think. Learn how the
differences affect you as an LNC.
- Charging by the Inch (7/19/2011)
charging by the inch of medical records a good idea?
- CaseMap for LNCs (7/12/2011)
a video on an overview of CaseMap and 6 of its features.
- Flippers, Organizers, and Page Turners (7/5/2011)
you a flipper, an organizer or page turner when you review
- PowerPoints for Mediation and Trial (6/28/2011)
how to create a PowerPoint outline that can be used at
mediations and trials.
- Deposition Summaries (6/21/2011)
two common ways to summarize deposition transcripts.
- LNC Listserves (6/14/2011)
can help you find an expert, locate standards of care and
- Behind-the-Scenes (6/7/2011)
LNCtips.com newsletter is based on day-to-day legal nurse
- 3 Secrets of a Computer Geek (5/31/2011)
3 secrets that Help Desk people use when they don't know
the answer to a computer or software problem.
- The Subcontractor LNC (5/24/2011)
can be a great way to start a legal nurse consulting
- LNC Lessons from American Idol (5/17/2011)
LNCs go through developmental stages similar to
contestants on American Idol.
- 3 Expert Witness Variables (5/10/2011)
attorneys want different things in experts.
- LNC Standards (5/3/2011)
how the AALNC standards apply to the practice of legal
- Fraudulent Documentation (4/26/2011)
to detect one type of fraudulent documentation.
- Not Documented, Not Done... (4/19/2011)
documented, not done? Not necessarily!
- Cyber Reputation (4/12/2011)
out how to check out the plaintiff and defendant on the
- Conflict of Interest (4/5/2011)
situations that might present a conflict of interest for
- Profitability Case Analysis (3/29/2011)
firms look at how profitable a medical malpractice case
may be as part of their decision to litigate the case.
Learn the LNC's role in analyzing a case for
- Effective Email Marketing (3/22/2011)
how to effectively market using email.
- What's a Matter? (3/15/2011)
out what the word "matter" and other common legal terms
- Bullseye! (3/8/2011)
marketing helps you score to get more clients.
- Are You Annoying? (3/1/2011)
you annoy clients, you won't get repeat business or any
business at all.
- Pharmacy Record Analysis (2/22/2011)
records are more than just lines of data. Learn how to
analyze these types of records.
- Financial Terms (2/15/2011)
about an embarrassing mistake I made because I didn't know
some basic financial terms.
- Computer Hardware (2/8/2011)
my recommendations for a new computer hardware.
- Timelines (2/1/2011)
how to create timelines of key events.
- Benevolent Dictator (1/25/2011)
how to dictate using a dictation machine or voice
- The Lowdown on HITECH (1/18/2011)
how the HITECH amendment to HIPAA may affect your practice
as an LNC.
- Analytics (1/11/2011)
the benefits of using website analytics.
- Color Organization (1/4/2011)
how law firms organize by color and ways that you can
adapt color organization to your business.
- Electronic Medical Records: Adobe
how to use Adobe Acrobat when working with electronic
- Go with the Flow (12/7/2010)
how to quickly and effectively analyze flow sheets.
- Billing Blunders (11/23/2010)
let these common billing blunders prevent you from getting
- Software to Get You Started (11/9/2010)
software will you need as a new LNC? This newsletter will
help you decide.
- Bates Stamping (11/2/2010)
how to add Bates stamps to legal documents mechanically
- Focused Analysis (10/26/2010)
LNCs sometimes have trouble identifying what's important
in a legal case. Use these tips to focus your analysis.
- Best Time to Land a Job? (10/19/2010)
some of the best times to land a job in a law firm.
- Wound Sizing (10/5/2010)
how to describe the size of wounds in terms understandable
to jury members.
- Interview Fashion Faux Pas (9/28/2010)
ace your interview if you avoid these fashion faux pas.
- Electronic Handwashing (9/18/2010)
the spread of computer viruses by using electronic
- Diary Analysis (9/14/2010)
how a patient diary can be an asset or liability to your
- Logo Branding (9/7/2010)
logo can help brand your business to make it more
- Just the Facts (8/31/2010)
which factual questions nurses flub during depositions.
- Case Closed! (8/24/2010)
the different ways that medical malpractice cases can be
- Cross-Referencing Medical Records (8/17/2010)
medical records can be cross-referenced to save you time
and the attorney money.
- 5 Ws, 1 H (8/3/2010)
how 5 Ws and 1 H can be used as a framework for writing
- Anatomy of an Affidavit (7/27/2010)
how an affidavit is structured.
- Who are They? (7/20/2010)
positions in medical malpractice firms are identified.
- 4 Little Details (7/13/2010)
little details can make your LNC reports more polished.
- Flag and Tag (7/6/2010)
medical records and tagging LNC reports assist the
attorney with depo preparation.
- Trials of Trial Preparation (6/29/2010)
how to prepare for trials.
- Medical Bill Analysis (6/22/2010)
medical bills can help you with case analysis.
- Medical Research Index (6/15/2010)
how to create a professional-looking medical research
- Legal Lingo (6/8/2010)
and abbreviations to get you started on your way to
understanding medical malpractice legal lingo.
- Redacting Documents (6/1/2010)
what kind of documents may be redacted in medical
malpractice cases and how to redact them.
- Deadbeat Clients (5/25/2010)
how to recognize and deal with deadbeat clients.
- Folderize Electronic Documents (5/18/2010)
quickly find your electronic word processing files and
emails, organize them into folders.
- Working with Radiographs (5/11/2010)
the legal implications of radiograph file formats.
- Email Effectiveness Hierarchy (5/4/2010)
the most effective email address to use for your LNC
- Can Potential Clients Find You? (4/20/2010)
make this common mistake on your website which prevents
potential clients from finding you.
- Who Owns the Medical Records? (4/13/2010)
do medical records belong to - the patient or the
- Creating a Portfolio (4/6/2010)
a portfolio to show clients your capabilities.
- Medical Symbols (3/30/2010)
a way to type some common medical symbols.
- Fee Schedule (3/9/2010)
your fees realistically. Learn 3 ways to set a fee
- Format Documents (3/2/2010)
that your clients can view your documents properly.
- Deciphering Bad Handwriting (2/23/2010)
for deciphering illegible handwriting.
- Litigation Crossword (3/23/2010)
this litigation crossword puzzle and view LNC marketing
ideas for the litigation process.
- Treater List (1/22/2010)
a FREE service to your clients, treater lists, and a way
to find any computer file instantly.
- Holiday Marketing (12/21/2009)
marketing, basic internet research and fixing unexpected